ADULTS: 1st GRADE [1st-RED-R to 1st-BLACK-R] - 30 MOVEMENTS
Chung-Mu was the name given to the great Admiral Yi Sun-Sin of the Yi Dynasty who invented the first armored battleship – the forerunner of the modern submarine. It ends in a left-handed movement to symbolize his death before he was able to demonstrate completely his loyalty to the King.
Born in 1545, Yi Sun-Sin was renowned for his mastery of naval warfare. He was credited for creating the Kobukson (turtle boat), an iron plated galley ship. The ship was impervious to all current weaponry, built for speed, capable of outrunning or capturing anything afloat, armed with 40 cannons, the most of its time & led with a large iron ram in the shape of an open mouth turtle’s head used for ramming & firing arrows & darts. It was the most highly developed warship of its time. He was also noted for creating fishnet or inverted V group, an advanced attack formation, the 2 salvo fire technique, a continuous barrage of fire to make the enemy was being attacked by a large force., smoke generator, in which sulphur & saltpeter were burned to emit clouds of smoke & the flamethrower, a cannon that fired an arrow filled with an incendiary charge. Admiral Yi rose to fame when the Shogun of Japan planned to conquer China via Korea. Outnumbered and with primitive weapons, the Korean army could not match the more numerous and well armed Japanese army. Despite the disadvantage on land, the Korean navy heavily outnumbered 1,000 to 1 was able to have control of the seas. On one occasion, a Japanese spy pretending to be an informant to the Koreans gave false information about a surprise Japanese naval attack. Knowing the location to be a false one, Admiral Yi refused. The royal court arrested, tortured & demoted Yi to the rank of common foot soldier. During this time in Korean history, most men would not have accepted the demotion., they would have
committed suicide or attempt to seek revenge. Yi accepted his rank & went about his new duty. The new admiral, Won Kyun set sailed with the entire Korean fleet of 80 boats to meet the Japanese. Without the leadership of Admiral Yi, the Korean fleet was destroyed. Fearing for his country’s security, King Son-Jo reinstated Yi to his former position. Admiral Yi gathered what was left of his fleet, 12 boats & went out to attack the Japanese. Despite being heavily outnumbered by the Japanese, Admiral Yi decimated the Japanese fleet. In 1598, while in battle with the Japanese, a stray bullet struck Admiral Yi killing him. Due to the lack of success, the Japanese invasion ceased with the death of the Shogun, Hideyoshi. Admiral Yi’s greatest quality was his devotion & service to his king. In a time when most Koreans sided with 1 of 2 political parties, Admiral Yi chose neither & was only loyal to his king & country. After his death, he was given the title of Chung-Mu, meaning loyalty-chivalry. The award of Distinguished Military Service Medal was named after him. He was further honored with a statue (the tallest in the Orient), a shrine, named Chungnyol-Sa, meaning faithful to king & country & a museum in the city of Chung-Mu, which has a replica Kobukson.
WEST | EAST 9:00 3:00
Begin: Ready Position starting at [X] facing North
1. Move left foot West forming LFF back stance while executing high-section double knife-hand blocks.
2. Move right foot West forming RFF front stance while executing knife-hand high block w/ left hand & inverse knife-hand attack (eye level) w/ right hand.
3. Move right foot East (turning clockwise 180 degrees) forming RFF back stance while executing middle-section double knife-hand guarding block
4. Move left foot East forming LFF front stance while executing spear-hand attack with left hand (eye level).
5. Move left foot North (turning counter-clockwise 90 degrees) forming LFF back stance while executing middle-section double knife-hand guarding block.
6. Looking South bringing right foot to left knee.
7. Looking South, execute middle-section side kick with right foot. [YELL]
8. Landing in LFF back stance facing North while executing middle-section double knife-hand guarding block.
9. Move right foot to form RFF back stance and execute jump side kick with right foot landing in RFF back stance while executing middle-section double
knife-hand guarding block.
10. Move right foot to East (turning counter-clockwise 270 degrees) forming LFF back stance while executing down block with left fist.
11. Shift left foot East forming LFF front stance while executing neck grab with both hands.
12. Execute knee strike with right knee while pulling both hands to knee (snap).
13. Landing right foot to left foot turning (counter-clockwise 180 degrees), move left foot South forming LFF front stance while executing ridge-hand attack
with the right hand while the left hand is open and tucked underneath the elbow of the right arm.
14. Execute high-section side kick with right foot going West landing in RFF back stance. (fast)
15. Execute middle-section back side kick with left foot going West. (fast)
16. Land left foot into RFF back stance while executing middle-section double knife-hand guarding block looking East.
17. Shift right foot North East forming RFF back stance maintaining middle-section double knife-hand guarding block execute round house kick with left foot.
18. Landing left foot to right foot (touching) then right foot to RFF back stance while executing stick block.
19. Jump off left foot (turning clockwise 360 degrees) landing in the same spot executing RFF back stance while executing middle-section double knife-hand guarding block.
20. Move left foot to South forming LFF front stance while left hand grabs & then pull to right shoulder & groin attack with right hand.
21. Shift right foot to LFF back stance while executing (left hand is a straight down block & right hand is a back-fist (90 degrees))
22. Move right foot South forming RFF front stance while executing spear-hand attack (vertical) with right hand (aiming for the groin area) while the left hand
is open and tucked underneath elbow of right arm.
23. Move left foot West (turning 270 degrees) forming LFF front stance while executing face-attack.
24. Move right foot South forming horse stance while executing inside block with right outer forearm & back fist with right fist looking South.
25. Execute middle-section side kick with right foot going East landing in RFF back stance.
26. Execute middle-section side kick with left foot going East.
27. Landing left foot in RFF back stance facing West while forming middle-section X block.
28. Move left foot forming LFF front stance facing West while executing double elbow break with palms up.
29. Move right foot East (turning clockwise 180 degrees) forming RFF front stance while executing high-section block with outer right forearm.
30. Stationary. Facing East, execute middle-section reverse punch with left fist. [YELL]
End: Move right foot back to [X] forming ready stance facing North.
Ready Stance: body is upright; legs are shoulder width; toes point forward; fists touching in front of the belt forming a circle.
RFF: Right Front Foot LFF: Left Front Foot
The text above supersedes illustration below.
Illustration provided to supplement textual description.
ADULTS: 1st GRADE [1st-RED-R to 1st-BLACK-R] - 30 MOVEMENTS